Datasource does not load, after manual reload (service grafana-server restart)

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    7.5.7 grafana
    Ubuntu (AWS-provided EC2 image with apt install)

• What are you trying to achieve?
    I am trying to edit or add a datasource.
    Previously, this worked. (Until I restart the server, via Ubuntu ‘grafana-server’ service.)

• How are you trying to achieve it?
    after using the cli,
    through the ui. Example:

$ grafana-cli plugins install grafana-worldmap-panel
installing grafana-worldmap-panel @ 0.3.2
from: grafana.com/api/plugins/grafana-worldmap-panel/versions/0.3.2/download
into: /var/lib/grafana/plugins

:heavy_check_mark: Installed grafana-worldmap-panel successfully

Restart grafana after installing plugins .

ubuntu@ip-xx-xx-xx-xx:~$ sudo service grafana-server restart

… when that didn’t work (see below) I attempted to edit files:
sudo vi /usr/share/grafana/conf/defaults.ini
with:

grafana-worldmap-panel

allow_loading_unsigned_plugins = fetzerch-sunandmoon-datasource,grafana-timestream-datasource,grafana-worldmap-panel

• What happened?
    when attempting to add any of the unsigned plugins, it is not available (does not show up in search box)

• What did you expect to happen?
    Plugins would show up, when matching terms typed into filter.
    OR
    When clicking on an existing plugin, some settings page should occur.

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?
    allow_loading_unsigned_plugins = fetzerch-sunandmoon-datasource,grafana-timestream-datasource,grafana-worldmap-panel

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.
    when attempting to edit existing datastore: "Plugin not found, no installed plugin with that id

"

Oh, and after a soft reboot, I had to start the grafana-server, using cli

logs:
t=2021-05-28T07:44:53+0000 lvl=eror msg=“Could not find plugin definition for data source: grafana-timestream-datasource”
t=2021-05-28T07:44:53+0000 lvl=eror msg=“Could not find plugin definition for data source: fetzerch-sunandmoon-datasource”
t=2021-05-28T07:44:53+0000 lvl=eror msg=“Could not find plugin definition for data source: grafana-timestream-datasource”

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?
    No

just to clarify: what previously “worked”? Are you saying that you could, at one point, install these plugins using that grafana-cli command?

Hello,

You can close this. I found a ‘workaround’ which is to say, I stopped doing dumb things.

The ‘problem’ is that all grafana panels in my dashboard are suddenly using a random walk datasource, instead of the configured AWS Timestream datasource (‘grafana-timestream-datastore’)

The additional information that I now have is: After additionial experimentation, it appears the datasources stop being available to grafana at some point during the install of some unrelated system-level libraries. I think something to do with React. (Obviously not as unrelated as I thought!)

This is obviously a problem with my practice of co-locating some development resources on the same machine. You can close this issue – I will just stop doing that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.