Dashboard refresh auto

Hi all,

in Grafana 10.x I can select “Auto” in the dashboard refresh setting. What means “Auto”?

I found no documentation for this setting: Use dashboards | Grafana documentation

The dashboard will auto refresh the data on the threshold you set

I selected “Auto” in my dashboard. Now “5m” is effective:
grafik

But where can I define this time / define this threshold?

I’m not sure of what you’re asking…
If you configure the refresh in auto mod at 5m it will refresh every 5m.

You can also setup:

Sorry, my question was not clear.

I am selecting “Auto” in the dropdown:
grafik

I saw that yeah.

If you select Auto, you notice the “5m” (in your case) right next to the turning arrows. Then the dashboard will refresh every 5m.
If you try to select a value, the “5m” will disappear. Then the dashboard will refresh at the time rate you’ve configured.

Is your question about changing the default Auto value?

yes. Why is it 5m? Can I configure it? There is no documentation about it?

Never tried but I assume it’s working:

In your grafana.ini (prob /etc/grafana/grafan.ini), there’s a section [dashboard] where you can find the option min_refresh_interval. Maybe modifying it can solve your problem? Keep me updated please.

No, this setting is set to 30sec in my config, not 5 min…

I’ve just tried to modify my grafan.ini and it worked.

Can you show me how you did it?

For now:
Your dashboard will correctly refresh if you set the refresh rate with this menu:

I don’t really understand your need of modifying the default auto value…

I’m just wondering about the new option in the drop down menu and I don’t understand the meaning of this option.

In the settings the 30s are set, you mean if I edit it to e.g. 1m, the 5m should be changed to 10m?
http://localhost:3000/admin/settings
grafik

I assume you meant should be changed to 1m.
And yes, that’s the point:

With this grafana.ini (note that the character ; is a comment!) :

#################################### Dashboards History ##################
[dashboards]
# Number dashboard versions to keep (per dashboard). Default: 20, Minimum: 1
;versions_to_keep = 20

# Minimum dashboard refresh interval. When set, this will restrict users to set the refresh interval of a dashboard lower than given interval. Per default this is 5 seconds.
# The interval string is a possibly signed sequence of decimal numbers, followed by a unit suffix (ms, s, m, h, d), e.g. 30s or 1m.
min_refresh_interval = 30s

I can see:

If I change it, for example to 5m:

#################################### Dashboards History ##################
[dashboards]
# Number dashboard versions to keep (per dashboard). Default: 20, Minimum: 1
;versions_to_keep = 20

# Minimum dashboard refresh interval. When set, this will restrict users to set the refresh interval of a dashboard lower than given interval. Per default this is 5 seconds.
# The interval string is a possibly signed sequence of decimal numbers, followed by a unit suffix (ms, s, m, h, d), e.g. 30s or 1m.
min_refresh_interval = 5m

After restarting the grafana-server service, I can see the new value on my dashboard settings:

Thanks for the explanations. But I didn’t mean 1m.

Now in the settings I have 30s, in the dashboard 5m, if “Auto” selected.
If I double the setting, the question was if the 5m will also be doubled to 10m.

I’m wondering what the connection between the 30s and the 5m should be…

In my case if I configure the .ini with a value, the auto value will be the same (I suppose it takes the min-value):
the ini:
dashboard settings:
dashbord refresh time setting:

Actually your question is really interesting: I don’t see any connection between your 30s and the 5m but I don’t see neither how to change the default value of auto. I’ve read the whole .ini file (with a time filter), and nothing appears to be related to this option… In my case it seams to always take the smallest value.

Can you show me how you configure the .ini?

Ahhhh, I found the solution. The time is depending on the selected time range

• 90d timerange → 1h refresh
  • 7d ->5m
2 Likes