Can I rely on the Prometheus Alertmanager docs for Mimir/Grafana Alertmanager?

I’m using the Alertmanager supplied by Grafana Community Kubernetes Helm Charts | helm-charts.

Can I rely on the official Prometheus Alertmanager documentation to guide my usage of configuring receivers, notification templates, etc.? Or is the Mimir version of Alertmanager different enough that I should rely on the Mimir version docs instead?

I can partially answer my own question. I just stumbled across the fact that Mimir’s Alertmanager can’t read templates from a path.

E.g. this does not work:

# The directory from which notification templates are read.
templates:
- '/etc/alertmanager-templates/*.tmpl'

Here’s a feature request to add support for this: Alertmanager local storage templates support · Issue #5352 · grafana/mimir · GitHub

While the core functionality of Alertmanager remains consistent across different versions, it’s generally advisable to refer to the documentation specific to the version you’re using, especially if there have been significant updates or changes.

The Alertmanager supplied by Grafana Community Kubernetes Helm Charts may have specific configurations, customizations, or integrations tailored to that deployment method or version. Therefore, while the official Prometheus Alertmanager documentation can provide a good foundation and understanding of how Alertmanager works and its configuration options, it’s a good idea to also consult the documentation or resources provided by the Grafana Community Kubernetes Helm Charts for any version-specific guidance or best practices.

In summary, both sources can be valuable references, but it’s beneficial to prioritize the documentation relevant to your specific deployment environment and version to ensure accurate and effective configuration.

1 Like