Aarch64 Red Hat servers quit sending logs after 2.9.2

In my fleet of personal servers, I’m formatting nginx access logs as json and shipping those to Loki with Promtail. Around October 25th, I see my two ARM based servers (one running RHEL9, one running Fedora 38) quit shipping these files, but are still successfully shipping the journal. I did routine patching that day and I see 2.9.2 came out October 16th.

My x86_64 Debian 12 servers on the same version of promtail are not having this issue.

The playbook I wrote for this adds promtail to applicable user groups and also sets ACLs for the nginx log folder. Using sudo -u promtail I can ls the nginx log folder and cat the files in it.

Checking positions.yml on the Red Hat servers vs the Debian ones, all the Debian systems show the nginx logs but the Red Hat servers only show the journal

I tried downgrading both to 2.9.1 today, but the problem persists.

My scrape_configs looks like this across all hosts:

scrape_configs:
- job_name: nginx
  pipeline_stages:
  - match: 
      selector: '{job="nginx"}'
      stages:
      - json:
          expressions:
            timestamp: time
      - timestamp:
          source: timestamp
          format: RFC3339
  static_configs:
  - targets:
      - localhost
    labels:
      job: nginx
      hostname: REDACTED
      __path__: /var/log/nginx/*access.log

- job_name: journal
  journal:
    path: /var/log/journal
    labels:
      job: systemd-journal
      hostname: REDACTED
  relabel_configs:
    - source_labels: ['__journal__systemd_unit']
      target_label: 'unit'

As far as parsing the timestamp goes, the only difference between the logs on the two server types is my Debian hosts are on UTC and my Red Hat ones are on EST. Example from each:

"time":"2023-11-24T15:14:43+00:00"
"time":"2023-11-24T10:44:22-05:00"

Something must have changed here, but I’m not sure if it’s related to the different OS version or the different architecture version.

Update: I reproduced the issue on AlmaLinux 9 on x86_64.

If I had to guess I’d say it’s probably something to do with ACL. Have you tried disabling it just to see if that helps?

I found the problem, oddly enough I need to add more of them.

A fresh install of nginx on Alma shows that in mid-October the /var/log/nginx folder had it’s permissions set to root:root 0711. Promtail could read the files in the folder but not list them. So an nginx update at the time same as promtail did this. False alarm. Thanks!