Scrape logs from different file everyday

Hello,

New guy here. Currently facing one problem that I don’t know how to solve best, so maybe I’ll get some help here.

Current situation: I have an API running, which generates a new log file everyday, starting from midnight. File name pattern - apiLogs-YYYY-MM-dd.log. I managed to setup grafana windows agent to provide me metrics, scrape logs and push those to prometheus so that it can be displayed on Grafana dahsboard. Windows agent configuration:

loki:
  configs:
    - name: appLogsServer1
      positions:
        filename: /tmp/positions.yaml
      scrape_configs:
        - job_name: system
          static_configs:
            - targets: [localhost]
              labels:
                job: logsAppServer1
                __path__: C:\xxx\xxx\xxx\apiLogs-2022-04-28.log

Problem: Everyday when a new log file is created, loki does not scrape it, unless I manually change the config and restart grafana agent, which is a really bad approach for many reasons. What I’d like to do is to tell loki to take the new file everyday. Searched through loki documentation and didn’t managed to find a solution.

Closest thing to what worked was that I created a bash script to update the config file and wanted to create a windows background job, which runs this script and restarts Grafana Agent, but the machine doesn’t have a proper user with required policies and I can’t set it up myself.

All help will be greatly appreciated!

Can this help?

Use of promtail to read logs and ship to loki?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.