How to handle data access levels for users according to their login credentials

I am utilizing the open-source Grafana platform.

Scenario:

I established an organization, assigned a user to that organization, and granted admin access to the user.

Dashboards were created for that organization, and everything proceeded smoothly.

Subsequently, two users (user1 and user2) were generated with viewer access.

Expected Outcome:

Upon the admin’s login, they should have the capability to view data from any UNIT by selecting the Unit variable, which is currently functioning correctly.

For user1, upon login, they should exclusively see UNIT1 data throughout their session across all dashboards. The Unit variable should be fixed on UNIT1, with no option to change.

Similarly, for user2, upon login, they should exclusively observe UNIT2 data throughout their session across all dashboards. The Unit variable should be fixed on UNIT2, without any choice to alter it.

Is there a way to achieve it? If yes then provide me with the solution/reference on how to do it.

Thank you.

Check this user access control principle

Access-control list - Wikipedia

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt response.

The provided solution does not align with my specific requirements.

To clarify, I have already established a Unit variable. What I am seeking is that when user1 logs in, they should consistently have access to UNIT1 data by default, and similarly, when user2 logs in, they should consistently have access to UNIT2 data by default.

It is crucial that user1 cannot view UNIT2 data, and vice versa for user2—ensuring strict segregation. Meanwhile, the admin should retain the ability to access data from all units based on their preferences.

we have almost identical setup as yours and it works in our environment

Your requirement is the exact dictionary definition of what a user access control list is

@yosiasz Can you provide me in detail reference of how it can be done?

That is what is already posted. Look at it again carefully. Try it out for your specific needs then post back when you hit a wall

@yosiasz Yeah sure. I’ll try and get back to you.

Thank you

1 Like

@yosiasz The reference you have provided worked.

Thank you

1 Like