FortiGate with Grafana

Good day,
I would like to integrate our firewall FortiGate-FG200F into Grafana.
Since I’m a complete beginner, it would help me if someone could give me a few tips on what I have to do to do this?
How do I make the connection?

Thank you

1 Like

check the dox

1 Like

Yes, I saw that, but I don’t really know how to start. I understand that I have to activate SNMP on FortiGate and then get the data on Grafana via Prometheus.
I run Grafana on Windows, should I also install Prometheus on the same system?

Hey @xdr1984

You have quite a few options. For SNMP, I’m using Telegraf, and I’m quite certain it’s the same with Prometheus.

You can have 2 instances if you want, one for Grafana and the other for Prometheus, as long as they can communicate. You can also build your Prometheus instance on the same machine that hosts Grafana. Keep in mind that Prometheus can take significant resources…

Also, please note that it’s not about “activating” SNMP, but configuring it!

Best regards

2 Likes

yes you can install it on windows

let us know once it is installed

2 Likes

ok, I will first set up a VM with Windows and then try to install Prometheus.

Thanks

you can also use docker or podman
for starters, as you are new to all of this, minimize the footprint and baby steps, by installing prom on the same windows machine as grafana. keep it together for now

1 Like

ok, I now have a WIN11 VM with Prometheus and Grafana running on a computer.
How do I continue now?

next you follow one of these setups linked above

you use either

1. fortigate_exporter exe with its own config or
    2… snmp_exporter with its own config

and then prometheus with its own config which will scrap the data being export by 1 or 2 above

In addition of what @yosiasz recommend you, think to configure your SNMP community on your FortiGate firewall. You might need to install some additional MIB!

So if I want to use this variant (Fortigate | Grafana Labs).
Do I have to continue like this:?

Hey @xdr1984

Sorry for the delay. I’ve never used fortigate, so I’m basically not able to help you with specific Fortigate configuration. I’ve always used SNMPv2c with basic Linux (often Debian…). SNMPv3 is okay and better because of security and privacy issue, but you should avoid SNMPv1 as it is less precise for error handling. Note that if your SNMP server is running with SNMPv2c it can fetch data from SNMPv1 client, the opposite is not true.

I see in your screenshot Download FortiGate MIB File, that could be really helping to know what you can fetch with the basic MIB.

Regards