Configuration for S3 Intelligent Tiering

I’d like to make use of AWS S3 Intelligent Tiering. I intend to keep 2y of traces on line, but would like to only have 1 month in standard storage and the rest in a slower access tier. This was easy to setup in Loki, so looking to achieve the same solution in Tempo.

The biggest hurdle I see is that Tempo stores a file index.json.gz in the same directory (prefix) as the trace storage. This file seems to be regularly updates and S3 doesn’t provide a way to easily exclude a file from a lifecycle rule that I can see.

Is there a way to get this to work. Some options I’ve considered but can’t find a way to implement

1. Exclude index.json.gz from the lifecycle rule in S3. No way to do this in S3.
  2. Tempo tags all the trace storage files. I could then setup a rule to filter on the tags, but don’t see that in Tempo at the moment.
  3. Move the trace storage down a level in the directory hierarchy. I could then setup a lifecycle rule based on a prefix like single-tenant/traces which would ignore the index.json.gz file. This is the approach I took with Loki, which has a different file layout and it works well.

Any thoughts on an approach I can take?

Thanks

Steve

I did some quick digging and also could not find a way to do this. What does this lifecycle rule trigger off of? creation date? If so you could make a process that just deletes index.json.gz once a day or something. It will get recreated and a component will fallback to polling in the even that it does not exist. Kind of a hack, but should work.

We recently merged this capability for GCS. If you would like to take a crack at it for S3 I would be happy to review/guide you through the change.

This would be a fairly large change and I would prefer pursuing one of the above.

Hi thanks for taking a look.

• Lifecyle rules can only trigger of file creation date. Unfortunately not update date otherwise this would be easily solved. As you say that solution is a but hacky, but feasible.

• OK I’ll have a think about that. It does seem a more elegant solution. I’m not a go programmer, but can give it a try.

• Understood.

Regards

Steve

Hi

I’ve had a go at a PR. As it’s my first go dev be gentle!

Steve

1 Like

Wow, that’s awesome! Really appreciate jumping in with the “out of your comfort zone” contribution. I will review shortly.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.