Weird averaging operation being applied to data when incoming queried data value changes

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    Grafana version is v8.1.5 and is running on an Ubuntu 20.04.1 server.

• What are you trying to achieve?
    Pull Network RADIUS failures into Grafana. These failures are monitored on a separate server running check_mk.

• How are you trying to achieve it?
    Use the PNP plugin in Grafana to gain access to the check_mk data.

• What happened?
    The check_mk server has a check that keeps track of the RADIUS failures occurring over the last 5 minutes on the network. These failures are displayed in check_mk as integer values. What I’m seeing happening in Grafana is when the RADIUS failure changes from one integer value to the next, the corresponding value in Grafana is displayed as some intermediate decimal value that is between the previous value in check_mk and the updated value in check_mk. Eventually, once enough samples have come through, the correct value will be displayed in Grafana.

• What did you expect to happen?
    I expected the data in Grafana to mirror the data in check_mk.

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?
    I don’t have a configuration to paste, but I have attached an image that illustrates my issue. When the number of RADIUS failures change from 12 to 10, there is some sort of weird ‘settling period’ where the data is in between 12 and 10. It’s almost like some sort of averaging operation is occurring behind the scenes that I don’t seem to have any control over. In an attempt to figure out what’s going on, I hard coded a 12 into the script that pushes data to check_mk and after some time, I hard coded a 10 - so I know for a fact that there are two and only two integer values being fed into Grafana.radius_failures3

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.
    No errors.

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?
    Didn’t find anything related to this issue.

@cidr exactly what plugin are you using? This one?

If so, that is a third-party community plugin. Here is the repo for that project and the code for the datasource logic:

perhaps make an issue in that repo?

@mattabrams

Thanks for your input, and yes, that is the plugin we’re currently using. Guess I will start looking through the code in the repo for clues and try to figure out what’s going on.

Thanks again

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.