Variable colour background behind graph?

Hello,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with this use-case, as I know I am not the only person who has ever experienced this:

My company has a hot and warm site, one is production and the other is a warm standby for HA purposes. They are exactly identical in terms of software, but their IP’s and hardware is (obviously) different. The sites fail over frequently, as the ‘warm’ site is used as a pre-production test of software coming out of QA.

I need to monitor and collect statistics for them separately, of course. What I have been asked for from our business department is an easy way to determine if the statistics at any given point in time on the graph occurred while the site was hot or warm. I can easily get that information and store it in whatever form is necessary, but I am not sure how to differentiate this information easily on a graph.

My first thought is to change the background colour of the graph based on whether that point in time was hot (red) or warm (yellow), but I am not sure if Grafana can do this.

Looking for thoughts, comments, suggestions, and an url I can RTFM. :smiley:

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi! Graph panel doesn’t support background coloring. You can use singlestat for this purpose.

Thank you for your reply, but I am not sure that I have explained what I need very well.

Singlestat will indeed tell me whether a site is hot or warm right now, live as I look at the dashboard.

What I am looking for is a way to determine this on a historical trend line, so I can determine if the high CPU on a server was while the server was hot or while it was warm. If it was warm during a CPU spike, or a network spike, or had database errors, than the errors can be attributed to QA testing of changes before flipping our HA over. I need to be able to look at a weeks worth of data at the same time and be able to see, easily, when the server switched from being a live server to being a warm standby.

I am not sure the software can do this.

Unfortunately, you cannot do that.Try to find another way, for example, second graph on the same panel, which shows server state. For example:

1 Like

Hi there, just checking: is this still not possible?