Technique for pivoting around multiple template variables

I’ve got a dashboard that helps me monitoring the “executors” in my JVM – if you’re not familiar with them they are basically queues of work. The dashboard has two variables I often care to pivot about:

• instance (JVM)
  • name of executor

Sometimes I want to key in on a specific executor (ex: “foo-processor”) and see charts that break performance out by instance, so I can use a query like this:

sum(rate(executor_seconds_sum{instance=~"$instance",name=~"$name"}[5m])) by (instance)
/ 
sum(rate(executor_seconds_count{instance=~"$instance",name=~"$name"}[5m])) by (instance)

With the legend set to {{instance}}.

Other times I want to narrow in on a single instance and look at all the executors it is running, so this query is what I’d use:

sum(rate(executor_seconds_sum{instance=~"$instance",name=~"$name"}[5m])) by (name)
/ 
sum(rate(executor_seconds_count{instance=~"$instance",name=~"$name"}[5m])) by (name)

With the legend set to {{name}}.

What I’d love to be able to do is combined this into a single panel that dynamically changed depending on whether I had selected a single instance or a single executor selected up top. I’m wondering what techniques people use for this kind of dynamic pivoting around two different dimensions.

I’ve looked at the docs and I don’t believe it is possible to adjust the “by (xxx)” part of my PromQL and the “{{xxx}” of my legend based on template variables, but perhaps I’m mistake or there is some other approach I should be considering?

Thanks!

I should add: I figured out how to add a third variable $pivot that lets me select between “instance” and “name” and that works fairly well. I was just hoping I could make the logic automatically determine which one to pivot by based upon my $instance or $name variables. Ex: if one is “All” then we’d pivot by that.