Pre filter an embedded dashboard

Hello,
Sorry for my english,
I have a web application where i embed iframe of grafana dashboards,
I would like to give some parametres to the iframe that it will filter the data of the panels based on these parameters, for exemple filtring the dashboard to show data only of a selected departement (departement of the user wich is connected to the web application for exemple ) , i think we can do that by creating variables (template dashboard) and then setting them in the url of the iframe dirrectly in the html, is there another “clean” way to do that ?
And if we consider we can do that, how can i prevent the user to remove this filter because i dont want him to see the issues of the other departements ( of course with letting him setting the other filters ).
Thanks for your help
Best regards

Hey, did you figure out how to do this? I’m considering using Grafana in the same way.

I’m also very curious if there is an official way of doing this.
Like the original poster described, the first method that comes to mind (though feels hacky)
is to update the embed URL in the app that’s hosting the embed - that should trigger a request to fetch the new data - I’m worried about the user experience though

Welcome

Why is grafana embedded? if you want user to only see a specific set of data you can do this via ACL

See this

Why is grafana embedded?
We would like to display certain dashboards in one of other custom web UI applications so our non-grafana / novice grafana users don’t need to visit our grafana dashboards.

Other pros of embedding in my opinion, you can have your stakeholder users visit one web app interface instead of switching between 2 or more; we’re wanting to created a unified web experience.

1 Like

basically there is no “official way” of doing this. Just implementing it via your basic iFrame.

I created another thread with an image describing the scenario
Thread “How to expose filters to grafana embed”?

Someone else suggested the following, which I’m going to explore later:
One option would be to create a custom panel plugin which has the options as part of the panel itself