Next generation alerts don’t work

I just can’t get them to work for me.

• there’s no test function for contact points.
  • it’s too complex, the old alert style is much simpler to use.
  • getting it to edit and create Prometheus and Loki alerts involves some secret undocumented steps.

I’m going back to the “legacy” alerts.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Malcom. We did add the ability to test contact points in Grafana 8.3 alongside a number of other meaningful improvements.

I agree that the workflow is more involved, and that’s not ideal. If you have some time in the new year, I’d love to pick your brain about where our workflows break down, so we can continue highlight the power and flexibility of our Grafana Alerting system.

I’d be more than happy to jump on a call and both hear/document your pain points. I’d also love a chance to share some of my own alerting workflow.

Thank you so very much for saving me the trouble of saying this. After days wasted, hitting my head against every conceivable wall trying to get alerts and alert notifications (with images) working, and being unable even to add queries to alert rules, with no documentation/tutorials I could find explaining it properly, I fell back to legacy alerting in sheer desperation, and things just started to work.