How does the `timestamp` configuration in Loki work?

I am attempting to configure Pomtail to send historical logs to Loki. The logs are in JSON format, but I can also get them in CSV or XML. I can change pretty much anything I need to about the logs. This is a code coverage report, so it’s just key-value pairs including a timestamp of when the report was run.

I’ve tried supplying the timestamp in both UNIX and RFC3339 formats. For the UNIX timestamp I supplied it as both a string and an integer. I’ve attempted to use the following formats:

• unix
  • “unix”
  • Unix
  • “Unix”
  • “1562708916”

I thought maybe there was some problem parsing Unix timestamps so I switched to RFC3339 format but I’m still not getting anywhere.

My current job config looks like this:

- job_name: loc
  pipeline_stages:
  - json:
      expressions:
        timestamp: "time"
        loc: "loc"
        cloc: "cloc"
  - labels:
      timestamp:
      loc:
      cloc:
  - timestamp:
      source: timestamp
      format: "DATE_RFC3339"
  static_configs:
  - targets:
      - localhost
    labels:
      job: hosted
      __path__: /logs/loc.log

The (simplified) JSON schema looks something like this:

{
  "loc": 1099687,
  "cloc": 119713,
  "time": "2019-02-14T00:00:00+00:00"
}

At first I thought that I was having problems because the timestamp was being loaded under “detected fields” instead of “log labels” in the Grafana interface, but after messing with it for several hours, I finally got timestamp to show up under “log labels” by adding the - labels pipeline stage configuration, but the timestamp configuration still does not seem to do anything.

Googling this problem yields a lot of different weird edge cases including using double quoted strings for some fields. Is there any example of a working implementation of using a timestamp from a JSON payload instead of using the timestamp that Grafana automatically attaches to the log?

Is there any update on this topic? I face the same issue.