We’re looking to subscribe to Grafana cloud and make use of either the Graphite or Prometheus DB as data source.
Our use case is as follows:
- A number of IoT devices each push data with 20+ parameters to an S3 server
- We use a Python script to process the data into time series data (e.g. vehicle speed)
- We wish to “push” this data into a suitable data source for displaying it in Grafana
- In Grafana, we wish to be able to create a simple dashboard of e.g. 5 different parameters
- Further, we wish to be able to easily switch between the IoT devices from e.g. a dropdown
We wish to avoid running any DB server ourselves - it is our understanding that with e.g. Graphite via the Grafana cloud, we’ll not need to run any servers ourselves - we’ll just write directly to the Grafana hosted storage. Is this correct?
From what we understand, Graphite or Prometheus should be able to serve as data source - but we’re unsure which one is the most well-suited for this.
Further, we’d ideally need a simple way to “push” the data into the DB from Python. I looked at Graphite, but struggled to find a good Python client example for e.g. pushing time series data into a specific endpoint.
Any tips are welcome!