Custom variable type not working. Does not narrow down resources

I have imported a dashboard and the custom variable ‘TopResources’ does not seem to be working. For instance, when I select ‘3’ for TopResources it does not narrow it down as expected. It still displays all the results instead of the top 3.

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    Grafana v7.3.0

• What are you trying to achieve?
    I am trying to narrow down the top resources and not have all resources appear in panels.

• How are you trying to achieve it?
    Using a Custom variable that helps narrow down the top resources

• What happened?
    It does not narrow down the resources.

• What did you expect to happen?
    I expected it to narrow down the results.

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?
    Datasource is Prometheus
    query: topk($TopResources, netapp_volume_avg_latency{datacenter=“$Datacenter”,cluster=“$Cluster”,svm=~“$SVM”,volume=~“$Volume”})
    CustomVar

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.
    N/A

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?
    Nope

Hi @joperez08

Welcome to the Grafana forum! Just to clarify: you said you imported a dashboard. Does the query work when you hard-code that value? Do the other variables work? Does this work:

topk(3, netapp_volume_avg_latency{datacenter="$Datacenter",cluster="$Cluster",svm=~"$SVM",volume=~"$Volume"})

It’s not uncommon for imported dashboard not to work right out of the box. Which dashboard did you import?

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.